Paul Silas Out as Bobcats Coach
The worst team in NBA history will have a new coach next season.
The Charlotte Bobcats have decided not to renew coach Paul Silas’ contract after the team finished 7-59 this season for the worst winning percentage in league history (.106).
“We have been talking internally about what is best for us going forward,” Bobcats president of basketball operations Rod Higgins said at a news conference Monday. “The record kind of speaks for itself. When you look at the youthfulness of this roster … we just all felt collectively that the change was something we wanted to do at this time.”
The 68-year-old Silas, who told The Associated Press late in the season he wanted to “see things through” and coach one more year, said Monday he found out earlier in the day he would not be brought back. Silas said he was not surprised by the decision.
“I’m ok with that,” he said. “I have had a very successful career coaching and playing and it’s time to move on.”
Silas said he was promised a job in the organization by team owner Michael Jordan and said he’s retiring from coaching.
It’s unclear who’ll replace Silas, who leaves with a 32-88 record at Charlotte. Higgins said a search for his replacement will begin immediately.